York Open Studios Selection Application 2D/3D artists - Guidance notes
Your application must be submitted by midnight on Monday 11th September 2017. If selected, you will be notified by 1st October and asked to complete a further online form giving information for your directory entry. Your entry fee is then payable by 8th October.
All applicants must live or have their permanent studio within a 10 mile radius of York City Centre. Our map shows the York Open Studios boundary. Your application will not be accepted if you do not live or have a permanent studio within the boundary.
The 18th York Open Studios will be held over two weekends:
- Friday 13 April 2018 6pm - 9pm
- Saturday 14 April 2018 10am - 5pm
- Sunday 15 April 2018 10am - 5pm
- Saturday 21 April 2018 10am - 5pm
- Sunday 22 April 2018 10am - 5pm
The following fees apply to all successful applicants
- £110 exhibitor’s fee per artist/maker. This is payable by 8 October if your application is successful.
- 10% commission. Payable on the total sales of work minus £250 during or as a result of the YOS event, including new works commissioned. We do not take commission on your first £250 of sales. Eg. Total sales of £1150 - £250 = £900 so your commission payment would be £90. In applying, you agree to inform YOS of your sales and pay the commission to York Open Studios promptly.
The selection panel will consist of five independent arts professionals. A majority vote will decide whether each submission is accepted.
Selection will take place on 23rd September 2017.
- Please submit five print quality, hi res (300 pixels/inch) digital images.
- Images must show five individual examples of the type of work you intend to exhibit and must be of work completed within the last 18 months.
- If accepted, your images will be used on our website, publicity and in the directory and cannot be changed after selection.
Recent visual arts graduates
- Visual arts students who graduated in 2016 or 2017 are eligible to apply for our subsidised Recent Graduates section.
- The entry fee for recent graduates is reduced to £55, but the commission charge remains the same as other applicants.
- If you have a venue lined up, great. But if not you must have one in place by 28th October 2017 or you will not be able to take part.
Checklist of dates for your diary in 2017
- Midnight 11th September Application deadline
- 23rd September Selection panel meets
- 1st October Selection decisions notified to artists
- 8th October Deadline for exhibitor’s fee payment
- 21st October All Artists meeting and AGM 2017 Saturday am